Skip to main content

Angry Birds Cake

It's hard to believe that this is my 4th cake that I've done for Logan to celebrate his birthday.  However, it is the cake that almost didn't happen.

Normally, when I'm doing a cake I like to bake it 2 days in advance or at least refrigerate overnight before icing it.  When we arrived home on Thursday evening last week we could hear the generator going in the parking garage.  We just assumed that there had been a power surge prompting the generator to start up.  However, to get an elevator to come to L1 took about 10 minutes.  This meant that only one elevator was working with the generator going.  We got home and had full power.  Woohoo!  Then I went to get the water to mix the cocoa powder into and that's when I realised we had very little water pressure.  Didn't even clue in that that meant no water.  Crap!  A message came over the speaker advising that Toronto Hydro was on their way to fix the problem.  I thought, okay, I will bake the cake in the morning.  No such luck, still no water in the morning.

All day at work I was panicking on what was I going to do.  It got worse when day care called to say that they had to close early because there was no power at all in the building and that Toronto Hydro hoped to get the power up before night fall.  I contemplated buying a cake, but I just couldn't do it.  Thankfully, Lindsay opened up her kitchen.  Not only is she the best friend a girl could ask for, her kitchen is very cool as in cold and lovely to work in when our condo has been 30 degrees in this lovely heatwave.  Actually, I am very fortunate as several of my friends offered up their kitchen.  So blessed!

I packed up everything I could think of that I would need for this cake, including an overnight bag for Miss E.  I was good, only forgot a few things that Lindsay was able to cover.

At 1:30am, after Lindsay and company (including Miss E) had gone to sleep, I was done.  I had sent Mr. T home earlier to check if the everything was back up and running and thankfully it was!  Phew!  If I had been a little more with it, I would have cleaned up the black outline on the angry bird, but oh well!


To save some time I bought a tub of already dyed red fondant and of the "Tiffany" blue from the Bulk Barn.  I was so disappointed in the new brand they are carrying.  I very rarely buy fondant now from the Bulk Barn now that I buy through Flour Confections the FondX brand.  The Bulk Barn used to carry Virgin Ice which was pretty good.  It had amazing comeback powers after it had dried out.  The red was super red.  The Kwik Fondant red is awful!  When I opened it up it was not a brilliant red and rock hard.  Thank goodness Lindsay had some Virgin Ice red that I could use.  When I find the bill I will take it back.  The Tiffany blue was not the same colour that was on the packaging and it was very grainy.  Again, very disappointed. It at least was not rock hard.  I will definitely be emailing them to voice my complaint.

The bottom line though, Logan was thrilled.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Little Pony Pull Apart Cupcake Cake

For this "cake" I made two dozen vanilla cupcakes and arranged them on the cake board in the shape of the rainbow and clouds.  To make sure the cupcakes didn't move I added a dab of icing on the bottom of each cupcake. It's not that often that I get to dye icing, or six different colours at once.  You can get a really good bicep workout, Miss E was kind enough to lend her figurines as models for the picture.  The clouds piped out perfectly.  The rainbow was a little more difficult.  Next time I would put a base coat on the cupcakes to help keep the top coat more level and easier to pipe over.

Carrot Cake for July Birthdays

To celebrate my dad and brother's birthdays this year we went up to my parents' trailer to have a campfire dinner; hotdogs over the fire with a side of corn on the cob.  So good! To finish off the celebration I made one of the family favourites, carrot cake with cream cheese icing.    This was a 3 layer six inch cake with lots of cream cheese icing.  Hopefully, it was enough for Geoff this time.  

60th Jack Daniels Birthday Cake

 These types of cakes are so much fun to do.  Over the top goodness!  Especially, when the original plan  was to use airplane size bottles of Jack Daniel's instead of one 300mL bottle.  When Mr T went to the LCBO he was told that they longer sell them, at least as this location, due to high theft.  The next smallest size available was the 300mL bottle; though I doubt the birthday boy was disappointed! This was a 3 layer chocolate 8" cake with Bailey's buttercream topped off with Hershey pieces, mini chocolate chip cookies, Ferrero Rocher and Whoppers sitting on top of the chocolate ganache.